Why's My Site So 90's?
You might've noticed that this site isn't exactly "modern."
No fancy graphics. No slick fonts. No trendy layouts. No Bootstrap or whatever CSS/JS frameworks are in vogue.
Yes I do. And yes, I'm fine without them.
Here's what you get in return for bearing with my static site and retro layout:
- Content first. You'll get my writing without the fat and added sugars.
- Maximum browser compatibility. My site looks almost the same on all browsers.
- Text browsing. "Content first" means you can browse this entire site with a text-based web browser if it suits your fancy.
- No tracking. This site can't track you because it doesn't use the fancy tech "modern" sites use. I serve all of my content from my server, so you won't get third-party pixel tags. (That improves speed, too!) And no cookies! The Web is about connecting with people around the world and spreading knowledge, not fingerprinting you with your every keypress, mouse motion, and site visit.
- Customizability. You heard that right! By keeping this site simple, you can customize it. Don't like my fonts? I'm using your browser's defaults: You can change them!
I get something out of it, too:
- Faster writing. It's way easier for me to deliver content to you if I only have to write plain HTML.
- Nostalgia. I kinda miss the old days of the Web, when every kid had a simple site dedicated to his hobby or idol. Those were the days when the Web was the Wild West: Everyone was free, nothing held us back. Writing HTML in plain text editors was what we did.
- Sticking my finger at the Corporate Web. This site is a rejection of — a small rebellion against — the corporatization of the Internet.